Please note that this post is a linear and unedited brain dump of what I did. Many things might have changed meanwhile, and I may have learned how to do things better. This is an experiment in progress.

This is a continuation of last week’s post, refreshing my exiscan module using retrospec-puppet, and a few other nifty technologies. In the last installment I contained docker in a virtualbox to avoid magic action at a distance on my desktop (dialogs popping up, audio being muted).

Picking up the Pieces

Last week, I gave up on this, after provisioning a fresh box with a vboxsf for /var/lib/docker, which confused docker to the point of refusing to work at all. Looking at it with fresh eyes, I have to admit, that it was a very optimistic approach. Rebuilding the box without this mount succeeded, and toock little more than ten minutes.

While waiting on the box to build, I created a unprivileged user to try out whether that fixed my issues, but of course, these being kernel things, and docker running as root, this did change a thing. Finally I could try to hack the boot sequence to avoid fondling the kernel in unspeakable ways, but the box is already running the tests, and I couldn’t be bothered. Rome wasn’t built in a day either.

Running the Tests

Now that the tests are running without annoyance, I can continue working on the actual code.

Accelerating docker

Jinxed it. For some reason installing packages in docker in the box causes 100% iowait and approx 150kB/s write I/O in the box, while the host is idling. Failing to spot any obvious causes, I suspect the linked_clone option, and disable that one. Additionally I add strace, and lsof to the biult-in tools for the docker image, so next time around I can have a more in-depth look. Writing this, I also need to check next time whether the same I/O “performance” is seen outside the docker container in the box. Maybe docker’s underlying FS layering is botching up?

Meanwhile my handiest bash function gets another go:

function unfuck() { vagrant destroy -f "$@" && vagrant up "$@" ; }

Installing packages in the vbox is fast and has a peak I/O bandwidth of 32MB/s. Reading up on docker storage drivers highlights how the default aufs driver apparantly is not suited for “high write activity”, suggesting the LVM/devicemapper driver instead.

Adding a second disk

It’s really quite easy, and only took me an hour or so to figure out.

config.vm.provider "virtualbox" do |vb|
  disk_image = "/tmp/docker-lvm.vdi"

vb.customize ['createhd', '--filename', disk_image, '--size', 500 * 1024] unless File.exists?(disk_image)
  vb.customize ['storagectl', :id, '--add', 'sata', '--name', 'SATA', '--hostiocache', 'off' ]
  vb.customize ['storageattach', :id, '--storagectl', 'SATA', '--port', 1, '--device', 0, '--type', 'hdd', '--medium', disk_image]
end

Of course, the disk_image is not bound to the life cycle of the vagrant box, and vagrant doesn’t support any extended operations, other than calling out to the underlying hypervisor.

Configuring docker

Docker’s devicemapper documentation is pretty comprehensive.

Beware the traps:

# /etc/defaults/docker
# THIS FILE DOES NOT APPLY TO SYSTEMD

It also points to this gem of documentation: “In this example, we’ll assume that your docker.service file looks something like: […]”. I installed the thing from your packages. You should perfectly well know how your config looks like!

The new provision section for docker on DM looks now like this:

DISK=$(/bin/echo -e 'sda\nsdb' | grep -v $(ls /dev/disk/by-id/ata-VBOX_HARDDISK_VB????????-????????-part1 -la | cut -d/ -f 7 | cut -b 1-3))

pvcreate /dev/$DISK
vgcreate docker /dev/$DISK
lvcreate -L 90G -n data docker
lvcreate -L 4G -n metadata docker
mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/docker.service.d

cat > /etc/systemd/system/docker.service.d/storage-driver.conf <<EOF
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/docker daemon -H fd:// --storage-driver=devicemapper --storage-opt dm.datadev=/dev/docker/data --storage-opt dm.metadatadev=/dev/docker/metadata
EOF

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable docker
systemctl restart docker

It turns out that the linux kernel will hold true to its claim that block device initialization order is random. The next try failed with Device /dev/sda not found (or ignored by filtering). because sdb is now the second disk. This causes the dance with inspecting the /dev/disk/by-id symlinks.

After jumping through enough hoops, dpkg package installation is still slow af. “Good” that I’m “learning” on my “personal” time “here”.

Back to the Desktop

Since docker on Debian 8 in a virtualbox doesn’t want to cooperate at acceptable levels, I have to accept the fiddling with my devices and resume running docker directly on my main kernel. 2 minutes 22 seconds total runtime for a beaker run from scratch, and 1:55 when the caches are hot and the base beaker image is already built. I could probably shave off another 30 seconds by caching Debian and Puppet locally, or moving some of the setup code into the docker build command in the nodeset.

Fixing the Test

Irrespective of the virt tech used to run the tests, they always failed the idempotency test:

Failures:

1) exiscan is idempotent
     Failure/Error: expect(result.exit_code).to eq 0

expected: 0
            got: 2

(compared using ==)

# ./spec/acceptance/exiscan_spec.rb:23:in `block (2 levels) in <top (required)>'

because of

Notice: /Stage[main]/Exiscan::Spamassassin/Service[clamav-daemon]/ensure: ensure changed 'stopped' to 'running'

poking into the docker container,

root@debian-8-x64:~# systemctl status clamav-daemon
● clamav-daemon.service - Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service; enabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)
           start condition failed at Sam 2016-04-09 17:35:12 UTC; 1min 35s ago
           ConditionPathExistsGlob=/var/lib/clamav/daily.{c[vl]d,inc} was not met

which can easily be fixed by waiting for freshclam to finish downloading the virus pattern definitions:

# freshclam needs time to download the patterns
# Instead of failing clamav-daemon, we wait for this to finish
exec { 'wait-for-freshclam':
  command => "/bin/bash -c 'while [ ! -d /var/lib/clamav/daily.cvd ]; do sleep 1; done'",
  creates => '/var/lib/clamav/daily.cvd',
  require => Service['clamav-freshclam'],
  before  => Service['clamav-daemon'],
}

That takes … a while:

Error: /Stage[main]/Exiscan::Spamassassin/Exec[wait-for-freshclam]/returns: change from notrun to 0 failed: Command exceeded timeout

It would have helped to check for existence (-e) instead of directory (-d).

But at least, now it works!

Finished in 2 minutes 45.4 seconds (files took 27.62 seconds to load)
2 examples, 0 failures

real	3m14.596s

Conclusions

• I should rename this blog to “Do not ask how the sausages are made.”
  • Nesting virtualisation is bad for performance.

Update

To stave off boredom, I upgraded the vagrant box to Debian “stretch”, which is what I’m using on my desktop too. This has the kernel version 4.4.0-1 and suddenly the beaker tests run in 3m27s on hot caches. Not too bad - except for all the hassle.